The Many Considerations When Defining Your Dissertation
Your doctoral dissertation proposal is very important in limiting the scope of your research and deciding on what you really wanted your study to focus on. It is really a known fact how a good proposal could help in forming a good dissertation; thus, students are advised to give their best in the venture early on. From the thinking stage to the proposal stage, the energy and the persistence should be equally competent in order to earn the drive to go on with the study until the finish line. The need to define your dissertation is a must because it will become your guideline as you continue with the dissertation process.
Here are the things you should consider when you begin with the task of defining your entire dissertation:
• Give benefit to the participants of the study. The participants are primarily your sources of data for the research. They are also the ones on which your entire research is greatly anchored that is why thinking on how they could benefit from your study will help you trim down your scope. A good researcher should know how to empower those who will participate in the research.
• You might fear the use of statistics but you can never run away from it. You must be wise in choosing your research methodology so that you can yield new understandings and solutions to existing problems where you are greatly involved. Don’t decide on having qualitative approach just because you fear numbers. Quantitative research designs are usually accomplished at a shorter period while qualitative structures can be tremendously time consuming.
• Good researchers usually emanate from a combination of both quantitative and qualitative research methods. If you want to come up with more meaningful results, they to combine both methodologies. Some students may use quantitative method in the preliminary stage and would end up utilizing the qualitative on the main portion of the dissertation. However, combining both methods should also fit the nature of your study.
• You may want to know some tips on how to write your dissertation but you should not fail to decide on where to write it. Usually, home-based dissertations which are done within your locality are beneficial especially so that you have a better grasp of the community you belong with. However, this might also be detrimental as intervening variables like obligations at home could affect the conduct of the study.
• Work with related areas that could be in conjunction with your study. Some educational leadership dissertation can be anchored on activities or ventures of other organizations but make sure the trade off are favorable to you. Never get into agreements which will compromise the accomplishment of your study in the end.